Friday 20 September 2013

I auction my clothes to my friends on Twitter –Vixen

TV Presenter, Yvonne Vixen Ekwere, tells ‘Nonye Ben-Nwankwo about her fashion and style



Where did the name ‘Vixen’ come from?

In the past, my admirers always told me my eyes were mysterious and that they had depth. I looked at them and shrugged such statements off. But then, the opportunity for me to have an alias came and I thought about all what those men told me those days -‘Wow, your eyes are so deep! You have foxy eyes!’ I decided that I would call myself Vixen. I couldn’t answer ‘Miss Foxy’ or ‘Miss Catty’. I decided to call myself Vixen, which by the way, is a female fox. Vixen is also a lady that is appealing. I have foxy eyes and I am attractive, so I decided to go for Vixen.

 How do you cope with the male admirers now that you are in the limelight?

No disrespect, but men will always chase anything in skirt whether you are beautiful or ugly. As a woman, you have to prioritise. You have to be focused. Personally, I don’t allow myself to be caught off guard. Being in the spotlight is a drama in the first place. I try not to give in to male advances. I enjoy all the advances, but I will not give in unless I see you kneeling on your knees and proposing to me with a ring, then I will give you a second glance. I am not distracted by men because I am a very focused lady. Right now, men are a distraction.

 You seem to draw attention all the time. Could it be because you are in the public eye or does it have to do with your dress sense?

If I were in my house, nobody would know me. I would say TV has a lot to do with it. I am grateful for the platform television has given me. But then, I would say my personality and my amicable person come to play at every event. When I am in a place, for some reasons, I attract all sorts of attention because there is this personality that exudes happiness. It is not intentional, but I am a loveable person. I am bubbly and I am fun. I like to make sure people are happy wherever I am. I think that is what attracts people to me.

Apart from that, your dress…

That is true. My sense of style is attention-grabbing because I put a lot of attention into details. For instance, if you didn’t notice this particular dress, you would notice my long hair. I make sure whatever I am doing to my appearance, it is done to the T. I also have to look the part. TV has branded me to a stage that I have to present myself in the right manner. Wherever I am, I know I have to look good. I love fashion; there is no doubt about that.

Have you made a fashion flop before?

I think I have. I wouldn’t be so arrogant to say I have never done that. I have been caught quite a few times. But the fact that I am always well put together outweighs my mistakes. At times, the mistake is not even obvious because I try to look good all the time.

Can you remember one flop?

I can’t remember any occasion I have been caught off guard by the fashion police. But I know I have made some flops.

Do you go out of your way to look good?

I wouldn’t say that. I’ll say I pay attention to looking good. Going out of my way to achieve that will mean robbing the bank. You are born with style. It is either you have it or you don’t have it. I credit my sense of style to my grandmother. She was a stylish woman. She made sure she looked fine all the time. I learnt from her that as a woman, you have to pay attention to the way you look. People see you first before they hear what you have to say.

Is there a particular designer that clothes you?

I am thankful to a lot of Nigerian designers in the course of my career. They come to me with different outfits and I wear them if they are my style. I showcase them and sometimes, the designers even offer me clothes. I don’t think there is any particular designer I wear all the time. I tend to style myself at the moment.

 Most celebrities don’t like to be caught ‘re-rocking’ a dress…

Whenever I am on the Red Carpet and paparazzi take my pictures, I always say ‘chei! So I will not wear this dress again?’ The pictures will be plastered everywhere including the Internet and magazines. It spoils show for me. It is not that we don’t like wearing a particular dress for more than one event, but we’ll rather not do it.

 So after spending so much money buying or making a dress, you will not wear it again just because you wouldn’t want to be seen repeating a dress?

But you will abuse me if I repeat a dress. People would write that we repeated a dress. Because of that, I wear a dress and since I know I will not wear it again, I dash it out. I give my assistant my clothes. I give to family members and friends as well. But then, I auction my clothes to my friends on twitter.

 You love jewellery as well…

I’ll say I love statement-making jewellery. I feel naked if I am not wearing a chunky piece of jewellery. I always make sure I wear one statement piece. It may be a necklace or rings or bracelet, as long as it is big and it is in your face. I can wear an ugly dress but my jewellery pieces must make a statement.

 What about your hair?

I am a hair freak. I can change my hair to short hair, to afro. I can be blond today and wear red hair tomorrow. I love shoes and bags. I don’t get to wear my boots in Nigeria because we don’t have the weather. Shoes make a statement.

 Can you remember any fashion item that you paid so much money for?

I am a very wise shopper. I will not buy unnecessary things. As for designer labels, I prefer them as gifts. For me to spend thousands of dollars in a shop to buy a bag that might catch fire tomorrow, I rarely do that. I shop anywhere and I make sure the price is worth it. But I have a Louis Vuttion bag that I spent so much buying. It was worth it.

Can you ever wear a subtle make-up?

The truth is, I don’t even like making up. But because I have to go out and look pretty and meet up  with the expectation of Vixen, then I have to make up. I am not a make-up freak. It is not a big deal for me. I’m more comfortable without a make-up.

 What can we never see Vixen wear?

I can never wear a lace wig. I don’t like it. In fact, I hate it. It makes you look old. I know some people are not blessed with a full hair line. But some people with full hair line go out of their way to shave their hair line so that they can wear lace wig. It doesn’t make sense. I can never be caught dead or alive wearing a lace wig.

 Why did you go into music?

Ha! Who told you? This is supposed to be a secret. It is in the pipeline. I am surprised you know it. I am hoping that before the end of the year, we will release one or two things.

So what happens to broadcasting?

Broadcasting will never be in the back burner for me because that is the foundation. While I am doing music, I will have my TV show; I will do other things as well. I am not abandoning broadcasting for music. Music has always been a part of me. I know it sounds clichéd but it is something I was born with. I had my first performance at the age of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment