Sunday 22 September 2013

I am too old to wear bum shorts –Michelle Dede

 Childhood

I grew up in a lot of places.   I was born in Germany; I had a colourful background growing up in different places. I lived in Brazil, Ethiopia and Australia for a few years.  I am the fourth child of my mother and there are six of us in total now. I studied fashion marketing and design. I wanted to be a fashion designer, I was obsessed with it.

Why not fashion designing

It was just a dream I had that I could not realise.  Like every young person, I had the dream of becoming a fashion designer but by the time I graduated, I started thinking quite differently, I tried for a long time to get a job as an assistant to established designers in the United Kingdom but I was not successful.    I worked for a short time as a fashion public relations officer, when that ended I was fortunate to get a job with Warner brothers as a television marketer.

From there, I got another marketing job at Universal Pictures; I worked there until I came to Nigeria.

Coming into the industry

I happened to be in Nigeria on vacation from the United Kingdom when I heard of an audition for a hosting job in Big Brother Nigeria.  I went for the audition and was lucky to get the job. That was in 2006, I moved back to London after the Big Brother show but between 2007 and beginning of 2008, I started coming to Nigeria regularly to try and get more jobs in Television.  I met Bola Balogun, the producer of ‘Glam report’ in 2006 when she was a stylist on Big Brother Nigeria.

Last year, Balogun told me she had a fashion and lifestyle television programme which she wanted me to be a part of, after looking at some of the clips she had shot, I felt it was a production I should be involved in.

United Kingdom compared to Nigeria

It is very different, my job in the United Kingdom required me sitting behind the desk most of the time but working in television in Nigeria makes me move around a lot and I enjoy that more. In entertainment, sometimes the job pays you well and sometimes you do a job because you really want to do it even if the job does not pay so well.

Negative side of fame

I went through that experience during Big Brother Nigeria but to be perfectly honest, I am not affected by those things.

During Big Brother, there were lots of people who suddenly came into my life, not necessarily come for the right reasons.   I have a few good friends though and I am happy with them.

Secret of my good looks

I work out sometimes, when I am not feeling too lazy. I like exercising a lot, sometimes when I am feeling a bit too lazy or I have eaten too much of banga  and pounded yam , then I would decide that I have gained too much weight and it is time  to work out.

My favourite meal

My favourite Nigerian dish is dodo; I can eat it with everything including egusi.

My age

That is a question you should not be asking. Women don’t tell their ages but I am in my early 30s.

 Relationship

I am not in a relationship, I am waiting on God to say that it is the right time.

Saddest moment

My saddest moment was when my mom died, but I don’t want to dwell on sad memories.

 Happiest moment

I have had many happy moments but   professionally, I am thankful to M-net for hiring me to present Big Brother Nigeria.  That actually changed my perspective because I never thought I would become a presenter.

 Constant fashion items in my wardrobe

You will find lots of jeans because I love wearing jeans, you will also find a lot

of short dresses and sleeveless tops.

People I look up to

One of the people that I watch the most is E entertainment presenter, Ryan Secret. He has done so well, he started presenting quite late in life but he is very successful.   In Nigeria, I look up to I.k Osakhodiuwa and Dare Art Alade who are fantastic presenters.

Clothes I would never be caught wearing

I would not be caught wearing bum shorts because I am no longer 18 and the bums are no longer appropriate.

 Favourite fashion accessory

My favourite fashion accessory would be anything I can wear on the wrists like charm bracelets, cuffs or big rings. I don’t wear earrings that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment