Friday 13 December 2013

I can’t leave home without my sunglasses –Niyola

Popular singer, Eniola Akinbo, also known as Niyola talks to Ademola Olonilua about her style and career

Do you wear your natural hair some times?                

I love my natural hair, but it’s very limiting and a weave is a lot more glamorous and easier to style and work with. They say a woman’s hair is her crowning glory, so the more you can do with it, the better for me.

What’s your favourite hairstyle?

Whatever hairstyle I love at every point in time is dependent on how I feel at the moment. Sometimes I like to go short, other times I might opt for something longer. The event or occasion will also determine my style choice. I’m not sure I can pick a favourite hairstyle. The more the merrier.

How much does it cost you to make your hair and how long does it take?

It depends on what I am doing to the hair. There is really no set time, anything upwards from 45 minutes. It could be less if it is just a touch up. Except you are willing to start footing my hair expenses I’ll keep the cost private.

How often do you visit a salon?

I hardly go to the salon. I have a personal hair stylist, her name is Chyna Bee and she makes my hair in the convenience of my house. If she’s unavailable, then I’ll go to the salon, but these instances are very rare.

What is your favourite hair colour and what is your take on women changing hair colours?

I don’t have a preference; black, brown, blonde or whatever, as long as it looks good, go ahead and flaunt it. Women mostly operate on moods, so I have no reservations about women changing hair colours.

On what occasion can you go bald?

If I was paid handsomely to go bald, I’d do it gladly. Other than that, I love my hair.

Can we ever catch you without make-up?

I only wear make-up when I have to. The most make-up I wear is a brow liner, mascara, lip gloss and maybe an eye liner. Most times, I don’t have on a powder if I can help it. There are occasions that call for more, for instance if I were doing a magazine spread or going on the television.

What is your take on tattoos?

I’ve seen a few that look really good. If I see an interesting tattoo it grabs my attention.

Do you have any?

No I don’t.

Can you get one?

Hardly. I’m personally not sold on the idea of a tattoo but one should never say never. I’m not completely closed to the idea, so we’ll see.

Do you think they are fashionable?

They could be, but that would depend on what you have on and where it’s located.

Do you patronise Nigerian designers both for your wardrobe and costumes?

Yes I do. There are a lot of very talented Nigerian designers and their work amazes me.

Do you think there is a clear cut difference between fashion and style?

Fashion is what is socially acceptable to wear while style is how you apply fashion to yourself. One can have all the things considered fashionable and yet not be stylish. Style is also a question of taste. A stylish person is always fashionable but a person who follows fashion may not necessarily be stylish.

What influences your fashion statement?

Several things, like the event I’m attending or what I want people to perceive. But it all stems from my state of mind at that particular moment. You have to always dress appropriately, for instance it would be ridiculous to wear a micro miniskirt to a business meeting. Such an outfit is more suited to a night out in the town.

Is there any fashion item you can’t leave home without?

Yes, my sunglasses

Why and how did you come about it?

It actually serves a dual purpose. The first is to protect my eyes. I have poor sight, and even brief exposure to the sun causes an intense pain, so I developed the habit of always wearing sunglasses and then they became second nature to me. The other reason is that they make a fabulous fashion accessory. There’s something about wearing the right pair of sunglasses that makes a woman look very chic.

What’s the most expensive item you own and how much did it cost?

It’s a pair of shoes and it was a gift.

What is your fashion weakness?

I love fragrances and shoes. Shoes especially; I could spend an entire month shoe shopping everyday and never get bored.

How many shoes do you own?

I would rather not say, I don’t think it is appropriate to list these things, but rest assured that if I wasn’t allowed to buy another pair of shoes, I’d survive.

How do you describe your music?

My style of music is a fusion of R&B and pop. I don’t think there’s any song I’ve written or worked on that didn’t have lines in Yoruba. I always infuse that into every song. Music is universal and I’m a Nigerian so I strive to make music that meets international standards but also tells you where this music originates from.

What makes you different from the other ladies in the industry?

I think the consumers of Nigerian music will be better suited to answer this, but the only thing I can say for myself is my music is tailored to exactly how I feel; which is a reflection of how the average woman feels. I make my music look like it’s directed to one particular person and I try to speak straight from my heart. This way, each person feels that this song was made solely for them.

How is it competing with men in the industry?

I don’t feel or see any competition with the opposite sex. Women have their place in entertainment as do men. Tiwa, Waje, Omawunmi and others continue to prove this daily. There are tons of women doing great in the music industry and the list is endless.

Would you say your celebrity status attracts or scares men from you?

Nothing has changed, I am who I’ve always been and that part of my life is as it has always been. Men have always been attracted to me and have no issues stating this, while some others are scared to approach me. I don’t think it has anything to do with being a celebrity. While every woman welcomes and cherishes attention, we must also be careful not to overdo it.

What is your take on cleavage exposure and ladies wearing skimpy and tight dresses?

Everyone is entitled to freedom of expression. One of my favourite sayings is “come as you are”. It is what makes one comfortable that’s important. Having said that, there are also boundaries and any right thinking person knows not to cross them.

Have you considered acting?

Not really, but I have done a little bit of it in recent times. I have a full lifetime to live, so if the opportunity presents itself I would not be completely opposed to it.

Can you give an estimate of how much you spend shopping in a month or this year?

No I cannot, I plead the fifth on that question

What are you currently working on?

My video for Toh Bad was released a month ago. I have a new single out now with Sound Sultan titled, belle no be showglass. I’m doing radio and TV rounds to promote them. I am working on some more singles, videos and collaborations. There will also be a surprise next year but we will keep that under wraps for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment